There is an exciting breakthrough that is "cracking the code" when it comes to treating patients who have autoimmune and neurological disorders such as:
- amytrophic lateral sclerosis
- rheumatoid arthritis
- celiac diseae
- peripheral neuropathy
- and more
You know by now that researchs shows the connection between gluten sensitivity and these destructive brain and autoimmune disorders. An important key treatment goal is putting out the fires of inflammation burning within the brain.
The efficacy of utilizing PRPs in treating neurological disorders is a secret that will be revealed in this article.
First a little background on colostrum
Colostrum is an exceptional nutritional substance, produced by mothers for their newborns, that supports and nourishes the immune system. It provides a perfect combination of immune and growth factors including immunoglobulins, lactoferrin and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), amino acids and other important nutrients. Colostrum is an exceptional nutritional substance that contains vital components known to support the immune system. For centuries colostrum has been used by most cultures for healing and wellness.
In my practice I don't just use any colostrum. The colostrum I use comes from cattle raised in the United States of America and is produced from healthy, nutritionally-supplemented cows on USDA and FDA certified dairy farms. These cattle are carefully fed a scientifically-designed diet that contains the proper balance of legumes and grasses along with minerals and trace minerals to ensure consistently high potency colostrum.
- Growth Factors: Proteins that bind to receptors on the cell surface with the primary result of activating cellular proliferation and/or differentiation.
- Immunoglobulins: Also known as antibodies, their job is to neutralize antigens, activate complement and promote leukocyte-dependent destruction of microbes.
- Interferon-y: Its functions are important in cell-mediated immunity against intracellular microbes. It is predominantly responsible for the antiviral activities of the interferons.
- Interleukin-1: One of the most important immune response modifying interleukins. The predominant function is to enhance the activation of T-cells in response to allergens.
- Interleukin-2: Promotes the proliferation and differentiation of other immune cells and potentiates apoptotic death of antigen-activated T-cells.
- Interleukin-6: Principle function is to augment the responses of immune cells to other cytokines. It is also the primary inducer of the acute phase response in the liver.
- Lactoferrin: Binds iron and competes with microorganisms for it. Found to have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immunomodulatory activities.
- Lactoperoxidase: Kills bacteria by oxidative mechanisms. When combined with hydrogen peroxide and thiocyanate, both of which are naturally distributed in human tissues, it forms a potent natural antibacterial system.
- Lysozyme: Protects us from bacterial infection. It is a small enzyme that attacks the protective cell walls of bacteria.
- Proline-Rich Polypeptide (PRP): Shown to support the thymus gland, and may help calm an overactive immune system and stimulate an underactive immune system.
So what makes colustrum high in PRP such a great treatment tool, you may ask? First look at the chart and the component overview above. The descriptions validate colostrum affects the immune system. The bottom line is neurological and autoimmune illness that have a connection to gluten have a common denomonator of cellular inflammation due to immune system dysregulation from gut barrier defects.
To help quench the hyper-inflammatory state that is the hallmark many autoimmune and neurological disorders (with gluten intolerance as a trigger), the treatment of the patient must include reducing cellular inflammation, especially that of the intestinal and blood brain barrier.
To accomplisth this, the source of the inflammation needs to be removed (gluten and any other cross-reactive foods) first. Specialized testing and interpretation of these tests are a very important consideration as discussed in previous articles. Next the damage to the digestive tract that leads to leaky gut syndrome (LGS) needs to be repaired. LGS leads to a breach in the blood-brain barrier and in turn to brain and nervous system inflammation. Thankfully high PRP colostrum is a great tool to help accomplish this important task. Listen to a great BlogPost Radio interview with Dr. Tom O'Bryan on the subject of PRPs and neurodengeneration and autoimmunity
Here are some research summaries on colostrum revealing how it has been shown to heal the GI tract:
- Studies have shown that gastric and small intestinal injury caused by indomethacin can be reduced by colostrum - GUT 1999; 44: 653-658
- Immune factors and growth factors are the primary components of colostrum. Bovine colostrum performs the following roles in the protection of the gastrointestinal tract:maintains integrity of mucosa, protects against intestinal permeability, aids local immunity, systemic immunity and antigen handling. It has also been used in treatment as well as prevention of NSAID-induced gut injury. - Indian J Pediatr. 2005 Jul; 72(7):579-81
- Insulin -like growth factor, IGF-I, has been investigated as a potential treatment modality for a range of acute bowel disorders in which accelerated intestinal repair and epithelial regrowth are desirable. - J Nutr. 2003 Jul; 133(7):2109-12
- Various bioactive and regulatory components, including IGF-I, exert intestinal effects. Colostrum extract, which contained bioactive components, such as IGF-I, enhanced intestinal villus size. - Journal of Dairy Science Vol. 86, No. 5, 2003
If you would like to find out if Johnson Neuro-Metabolic Therapy can help you with your autoimmune or neurological illness, call 586-731-8840 for your case review. You can also request a case review by clicking on the big orange button below.