September is a month founded on transition. Summer turns to fall, free time is consumed by
school, days get shorter and nights get longer. Even if you weren’t one of the lucky ones who had summer off because of a career in education, summer living is always less stressful. Now with the new, demanding schedules that incorporate your children’s school and sport obligations, you have to become an expert juggler.
September is the starting month for school for many students and the beginning of a tumultuous time for both parents and the kids.
While the hustle and bustle can seem overwhelming, it is easier than you think to raise children healthy and teach them how to make good choices, especially when it comes to nutrition. School lunches always come up as a hot-button issue this time of year as parents do their best to pack a healthy lunch that holds up throughout the day and actually gets your children excited about eating it. This blog post will feature some great lunch box ideas that your kids will love but that also have enough depth and intricate flavors to please adults! Whether it’s in a lunch box in a cafeteria or coming out of the company fridge for your lunch break, the recipes you will see are sure to turn heads and provoke smiles.
Many people choose not to start dieting in any way until their body gives them negative signs. Whether it’s fatigue, sluggishness or the most obvious factor, weight gain, it usually takes the materialization of symptoms to motivate change. The people who are the healthiest and most successful dieters are proactive with their efforts and not reactive. It’s never too early to start the Blood Type Diet (BTD), which is why in this post we are focusing on how positive an impact the BTD can have on children!
If you walk into a modern-day school cafeteria, the kinds of foods you will see spread across the tables will shock you. While a select few kids will be eating nutritious food, a majority will have a slew of sugary, salty foods that hurt the body even at an early age. While schools have been moving towards healthier menus, there is no way to ensure that the kids choose the more health-conscious option. This also has no bearing on packed lunches, which can be a bevy of bad foods. Our recipe feature is something you can make for your children to take to school with them that redefines the traditional, unhealthy packed lunch.
Nutritious packed lunches are a great way to keep your children healthy, but there’s no reason you can’t start them on the Blood Type Diet even earlier.
As Dr. Peter D’Adamo details in his Eat Right 4 Your Baby book, the benefits of eating right can happen as early as during the pregnancy itself. A proper diet for the mother will make the baby-to-be healthier from day one. After being brought into this world, having your baby adhere to its blood type diet is simple. Most foods are fully pureed or liquefied early on. If you have a blender or food processor, you can make your own baby foods free of preservatives and packed with beneficials. If you want a detailed description of how to navigate these first few years, pick up the book!
As your child grows up you can build off this foundation of health you have already established. Their body will already be accustomed to healthy foods, so even if they crave junk food, as many young kids do, their body will revolt when they make the wrong choices. A body built on health will feel the effects of avoids in more pronounced ways that will discourage wrong choices. Making recipes that use healthy ingredients but disguise them helps this process, such as a veggie lasagna or turkey meatloaf.
The diet can do more for kids than just keep their weight and energy levels in check. Schools are well-known havens for germs, causing constant sickness. One of the most rampant problems are ear infections, which Dr. D’Adamo specifically talks about in Eat Right 4 Your Type.
"Perhaps as many as two-thirds of children under the age of six have chronic ear infections. By chronic, I mean 5, 10, 15 or even 20 infections every winter season, one after the other. Most of these children have allergies to both environmental and food-based particles. The best solution is the Blood Type Diet." (pg.288)
How the Blood Type Diet can be the solution to these issues is simple. The underlying cause of most infections, including ear infections, is based on the child's diet. For example, both Type A and AB children are more susceptible to the infections because of how their body creates more mucus in reaction to ingesting certain foods. For Type A kids, avoiding dairy helps limit this issue. For AB, it's usually corn that is the culprit. The point is that if certain foods can have such an impact on one condition, like ear infections, based on blood type, shouldn't you be making sure your kids stay Blood Type Diet compliant to help them avoid all the illnesses out there?
While the Blood Type Diet isn’t something you can expect a child to fully grasp and comply to at a young age, it is a regimen you can implement that they can follow with your guidance. Children are habitual creatures that will thrive under such a structure if you put it in place for them. Doing it will set their body up for success and give them the healthy gut and immune system they need to navigate the germ-ridden, junk food-laden world of elementary school and beyond. Although it may seem daunting at first, the Blood Type Diet has never been easier to successfully implement in your life or the lives of your family members. Between the BTD cookbooks and BTD recipe blog that give you meal plans and the Blood Type Diet app to let you check food values and create shopping lists on the go, the resources you need are never far away!
September is a month of change. Not only will the weather be shifting to cooler temperatures, but most people's schedules will be in some way impacted by schools starting up again. Whether you are a teacher going back to work or a concerned parent trying to find a healthy way to send your kids to school with a proper lunch, these featured recipes will fit the bill and make you or your children the envy of everyone in the lunchroom.
Easy To Take Nutritional Supplements That Help Ward Off Illness
There are several very easy to take (especially for children) supplements that will change your viewpoint on the typical back-to-school season ever-present illness that seems to plague so many families. I have seen it over the years; chronic runny noses, recurrent coughs that just won't go away, etc.
Many of my patients take the advice to improve their family's diet using the the Blood Type Diet, Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technigues (NAET) and using a few daily supplements on a preventative basis. The first key to great health and a strong immune system is to eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of pure water and get adequate rest. In addition, here is a list of very helpful supplments to use daily for yourself and children:
- Proberry 3™ Liquid: Dark-hued berries are packed with powerful antioxidants and flavonoids to help promote a healthy immune system, collagen production and promote capillary stability. Although many foods contain antioxidants, dark berries contain some of the highest concentration levels and may provide the body with important disease-fighting compounds.*
- Dr. Peter D'Adamo, author of Eat Right 4 Your Type, has harnessed the strong concentration of antioxidant-rich compounds in Proberry 3 Liquid. This great tasting syrup contains concentrations of antioxidant-rich berries such as: blueberries, elderberries, cherries and red raspberries. Simply mix Proberry 3 Liquid with water, tea, or juice to give your body the immune support it craves. It may be especially beneficial during the cold weather months or changing seasons.
- Proberry 3 Liquid is produced in the USA and is GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) quality assured and certified product as outlined by the Natural Products Association and is suitable for all blood types. This kosher-certified liquid is 100% vegetarian and does not contain any sugar, salt, gluten, wheat, yeast, corn, soy, eggs, dairy, preservatives, color, flavors, artificial ingredients.
- Liqua-D™: Liqua-D™ supports the immune system and the skeletal system by offering high-potency vitamin D (cholecalciferol) in a liquid form.* Each drop contains 2000 IU of vitamin D, which is 500% of the recommended daily value. Liqua-D™ allows healthcare professionals to conveniently adjust the vitamin D intake of those they care for.
- Liqua-D™ includes only two ingredients—vitamin D and MCT oil (as a biologically active carrier)—to minimize the risk of sensitivities to this product.* In addition to immune and skeletal support, this product may also support the balance of calcium and phosphorus.*
- TVIVI Virox Tincture: Clinical Doses of Lomatium dissecutim and Pau D’ Arco. North American and native Brazilian herbal traditions, as well as University studies provide evidence of Lomatium’s effectiveness as a potent immune support.*
If you or your family is having challenges with chronic ill-health, give my office a call at 586-731-8840 or request a reivew of your case by clicking on the button below. Best wishes for a happy, healthy new school year!
For more details about the natural approach I take with my patients, take a look at the book I wrote entitled: Reclaim Your Life; Your Guide To Revealing Your Body's Life-Changing Secrets For Renewed Health. It is available in my office or at Amazon and many other book outlets. If you found value in this article, please use the social sharing icons at the top of this post and please share with those you know who are still suffering with chronic health challenges, despite receiving medical management. Help me reach more people so they may regain their zest for living! Thank you!
ALL THE BEST – DR. KARLR.O.S. JOHNSON, DC – DIGGING DEEPER TO FIND SOLUTIONS
Portions of the content of this blog post courtesy of Martha D'Adamo
* These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.